I believe in equality under the law – period. In today’s America, protecting LGBT rights is the frontier in our struggle for civil rights for all.
Here’s where I stand. You should never fear harassment at work or school because of your sexuality. You should never lose your job because of who you love or how you express your gender. You should be able to marry the person you choose, and your marriage should be recognized by the federal government and by every state in the nation.
“Whenever issues affect the LGBT community in Washington, (Rush Holt) has always voted with clear cut and forthright values due to his belief in equality for everyone - with no exceptions.”
- Out in Jersey Magazine
I am proud to be a founding member of the Equality Caucus and have worked with them to advance the rights of LBGT individuals in the United States and around the globe.
Past Accomplishments on Civil Rights
- Helped end “Don't Ask, Don't Tell.”
- Original co-sponsor of the Respect for Marriage Act, H.R. 3567, which would repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and ensure respect for State regulation of marriage.
- Co-sponsor and strong supporter of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) that provides employment protections for sexual orientation as well as gender identity.
- Original co-sponsor of Uniting American Families Act.
- Has and will continue to oppose such attempts to amend the Constitution to prevent LGBT couples from marrying.
- With Sen. Frank Lautenberg, wrote the Tyler Clementi Higher Education Anti-Harassment Act to require colleges and universities to protect students from harassment.
- Original co-sponsor of the Student Non-Discrimination Act.
- Original co-sponsor of the Employee Free Choice Act which is about restoring balance to the employer-employee relationship.
- Wrote legislation to ban the use of federal funds for ethnic or religious profiling.
- Proud member of Garden State Equality’s Equality Hall of Fame.